In a valiant attempt to turn a mole hill into a mountain, Republican Tea Snorters are busy twisting and feigning shock and awe at the shameful and deliberate attempt by the Obama Administration to get “brave Americans” murdered by, well, you know, their true friends.
If one reads the headlines of the extreme-stream media, here is what you will find:
“Benghazi Witness: First Time in my Career that a Diplomat Has more balls than somebody in the Military.”
“Benghazi revelations today could obliterate Obama’s Credibility and Sink Hillary’s 2016 ambitions.”
“Issa seeks more whistle blowers after dramatic Benghazi hearing.”
“Two key witnesses refuse to testify at Benghazi hearing.”
“Benghazi Makes Watergate look like kindergarten: The End of Obama”
“Hillary perjured herself on Benghazi?”
“Benghazi Whistleblower: You Should have Seen what Clinton Tried to do to us that night.”
And on and on it goes.
Here’s what I think we know at this point.
- A YouTube video riled up Muslims around the world and demonstrations were being held in a variety of places, Egypt among them.
- A demonstration occurred at Benghazi, that was violent.
- Ambassador Stevens was fairly well known to favor less security rather than more in an attempt to be open to the residents of the country.
- Republicans had steadfastly refused State Department requests for more money to beef up security around the world.
- The Ambassador and three others were killed in the first attack.
- Air support could not have reached the outpost for hours, a minimum of 5-7 according to the military.
- There was no basis for suspecting a second attack.
- There were no deaths or serious injuries sustained in the second attack.
- A team of FOUR, a military security forces was located at Tripoli but they were concerned about security there, and even John Bolton admitted that they were unable to determine whether the four men should leave that facility for Benghazi when the deaths had already occurred and there was no reason to suspect a second attack.
- Senator Tom Corker from Tennessee, sat on the Senate hearings on Benghazi and said that he read all the material and thought he knew what happened and was satisfied.
- The President termed the attack a “terrorist attack” the day following the attack.
- That Susan Rice delivered the cautionary remarks that we were unsure what happened based on material supplied her by others in the State Department or other agencies.
- That Al Qaeda is not an organization so much as an idea, and many Islamic groups claim “affiliation” without benefit of any actual connection. To this day, we don’t know I don’t think who this group consisted of.
- There was no reason to believe that naming it other than a terrorist attack was some how beneficial to the White House in the midst of an election. Most presidents, following some catastrophe or other see their polling improve as people tend to “rally round” the Administration. If the President had war mongered the event, the GOP would have been arguing just the opposite–that he was making it much worse than it was in order to gain sympathy.
The bottom line to me here is simply. The Benghazi outpost was under-secured. Certainly the GOP bears SOME responsibility for that fact as do congressional Democrats who agreed that they didn’t need additional funds. There was apparently not good plans in place for an emergency like this. There should have been.
Beyond that, it was a sad tragedy. But let us remember. Americans are dying around the world every day. They are dying in service to the country, and as employees of corporations doing business in dangerous places. These four were doing their jobs. They perhaps did not receive the full support they should have, but such is life in dangerous occupations. I don’t mean to minimize it, but it should not be overstated either.
The GOP tried to make this into some scandal during the fall of 2012 to hurt the chances of the President to be re-elected, and enhance their candidates chances. That didn’t happen. Now they see polling that suggests that Hillary Clinton, if the nominee will beat any Republican so far put forth, easily and soundly.
Is it hard to see why this is happening now? Of course not. This is just an attempt to dirty up Clinton and force her to not run.
That’s my take on it.
And what is yours?
Republicans are united in their insanity that this will lead to impeachment.
- Republicans continue to press for answers on Benghazi (nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com)
- Yet Another Benghazi Nothingburger Today (motherjones.com)